This 2016-2017 Statesman Season for Caring has been a record-breaking one. As of Thursday, we have raised $817,418.83, that’s more than $37,000 more than the previous best year the 2007-2008 season.
There is still time to make your donation. Gifts made through Jan. 31 go to help the featured families you’ve been reading about since Nov. 27 as well as the featured nonprofit agencies that nominated them. Your gift will help the agencies do more with Season for Caring funds for these families as well as for hundreds of others.
All of the featured families still have a couple of items on their wish lists:
• Terry Markland, 65,who is unable to walk because of 30-year-old injury, needs plastic floor mats and Capital Metro Access passes. To help, call Family Eldercare at 512-450-0844 or visit familyeldercare.org.
• Ashley McGill, 31, who has neurological damage following a car accident, needs a computer and help with rent and medical bills. To help, call Wonders & Worries at 512-329-5757 or visit wondersandworries.org.
• Deloris Fields, 27, found out her breast cancer had spread to her bones the day after her son, Connor, was born a year ago. She needs a laptop, a printer, furniture and a gently used car. To help, call the Breast Cancer Resource Center at 512-817-9775 or visit bcrc.org.
• Issa Noheli, 62, and his family came to Austin after living for 17 years in refugee camps in Central Africa. They need dressers, a gently used car, driving lessons and a vacuum cleaner. To help, call Interfaith Action of Central Texas at 512-386-9145 or visit interfaithtexas.org.
• Sheila King, 49, lost her 15-year-old son to suicide in July and her husband and mother to cancer in September. The Kings need laptops, a new septic system and Home Depot gift cards. To help, call the CareBox Program at 512-296-2180 or visit careboxprogram.org.
• Francisco Zuñiga-Echeverria, 28, grew up in foster care and was homeless. He would like allergy testing as well as a Moped scooter. To help, call LifeWorks at 512-735-2473 or visit lifeworksaustin.org.
• Maricela Garcia, 42, and her son Raymond, 9, who has Renpenning syndrome, autism and attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, need car repairs and driving lessons; pots and pans; and a toaster. To help, call Foundation Communities at 512-610-7391 or visit foundcom.org.
• After mother Rosalba Martínez-López died Dec. 2 from cervical cancer, her children need a reliable used car, eyeglasses, day care and tuition. To help, call Care Communities at 512-459-5883 or visit carecommunities.org.
• Liliana De La Paz, 30, and Juan Martínez Domínguez, 29, have two sons in wheelchairs. They need a high dining room table with chairs and a recliner. To help, call Any Baby Can at 512-454-3743 or visit anybabycan.org.
• Uliya Fazal Ahmad, 48, who came with her five children to the United States this year from Afghanistan, needs taxi vouchers and dental care for the children. To help, call Caritas of Austin at 512-646-1277 or visit caritasofaustin.org.
Season for Caring
It’s not too late to make your Season for Caring donation. Donate now through Jan. 31.
• To make a monetary donation to Season for Caring, send it to P.O. Box 50066, Austin, TX 78763-0066, or go online to statesman.com/seasonforcaring.
• Find more stories, videos and photos of all the families, plus what each family still needs at statesman.com/seasonforcaring.
• To learn more about making a donation of an item or a service, call 512-445-3590 or email email@example.com.