Last day to give to Season for Caring for this year
Deloris Fields kissed her son, Connor Guenther after picking him up from daycare. Fields was diagnosed with stage four breast cancer on Dec. 4, 2015, the day after her son was born. RESHMA KIRPALANI / AMERICAN-STATESMAN
Today is the last day to give to Season for Caring for the 2016-2017 Season for Caring.
Gifts made through today go to help the families we’ve been highlighting since November as well as the featured nonprofit agencies that nominated them. Your gift will help the agencies do more with Season for Caring funds for these families as well as for hundreds of others.
Who are the featured families and which agencies are you helping?
• Jacob Rodriguez-Lopez, 26, lost his wife last year and his daughter this month, both to cancer. Hospice Austin at 512-342-4726 or visit hospiceaustin.org.
• Terry Markland, 65, is unable to walk because of 30-year-old injury. Family Eldercare at 512-450-0844 or visit familyeldercare.org.
• Ashley McGill, 31, has neurological damage following a car accident and has two children. Wonders & Worries at 512-329-5757 or visit wondersandworries.org.
• Deloris Fields, 27, found out her breast cancer had spread to her bones the day after her son, Connor, was born a year ago. Breast Cancer Resource Center at 512-817-9775 or visit bcrc.org.
• Issa Noheli, 62, and his family came to Austin after living for 17 years in refugee camps in Central Africa. Interfaith Action of Central Texas at 512-386-9145 or visit interfaithtexas.org.
• Sheila King, 49, lost her 15-year-old son to suicide in July and her husband and mother to cancer in September. CareBox Program at 512-296-2180 or visit careboxprogram.org.
• Francisco Zuñiga-Echeverria, 28, has a hearing loss and grew up in foster care and was homeless. LifeWorks at 512-735-2473 or visit lifeworksaustin.org.
• Maricela Garcia, 42, is raising son Raymond, 9, who has Renpenning syndrome, autism and attention deficit hyperactivity disorder. Foundation Communities at 512-610-7391 or visit foundcom.org.
• Rosalba Martínez-López died Dec. 2 from cervical cancer, leaving four children and a grandchild. Care Communities at 512-459-5883 or visit carecommunities.org.
• Keila Vasquez, 20, and Luis Olais, 21, and their two children are starting a life on their own with a rare genetic disorder. SAFE (Stop Abuse For Everyone) at 512-590-3114 or visit safeaustin.org.
• Liliana De La Paz, 30, and Juan Martínez Domínguez, 29, have two sons in wheelchairs with a genetic disorder that has a life expectancy of 20. Any Baby Can at 512-454-3743 or visit anybabycan.org.
• Uliya Fazal Ahmad, 48, came with her five children to the United States this year from Afghanistan by way of Pakistan. Caritas of Austin at 512-646-1277 or visit caritasofaustin.org.
Season for Caring
• To make a monetary donation to Season for Caring, send it to P.O. Box 50066, Austin, TX 78763-0066, or go online to statesman.com/seasonforcaring.
• Find more stories, videos and photos of all the families, plus what each family still needs at statesman.com/seasonforcaring.
• To learn more about making a donation of an item or a service, call 512-445-3590 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.